Resources to move food from farm to table during COVID-19
The following organizations and solutions can help you donate, sell, buy, move, and store food, helping to reduce the surge in food going to waste at the farm level due to COVID-19 supply chain disruptions – contact them directly to see if their services will work for you.
We will continue to update this list as we become aware of more resources.
Please send us suggested organizations to include at firstname.lastname@example.org
Local Food Anywhere by Forager
- Forager normally connects wholesale and retail buyers with independent farmers and artisan suppliers.
- In response to COVID-19, Forager has set up a nationwide resource, Local Food Anywhere, for consumers to find local farms so they can rest easy knowing they have sourced food that’s safe for their families.
- For consumers: Search for local farms in your community that have fresh food available now and can possibly provide delivery or pick up in a safe, and easy, COVID-19 sensitive manner.
- For farmers and suppliers: If you are a farmer, producer, or grocer interested in connecting with consumers in your community, click here so we can add you to the map - our updates are in near real-time.
Project Waste Not
- For farmers and suppliers: Project Waste Not makes your content and product data available through the Open Food & Beverage Commerce Network to help grow revenues, reduce costs, and improve business operations. Click here for more information.
- For buyers: Project Waste Not helps you know your food costs in real-time, enabling you to make better purchasing decisions and reduce your total procurement cost. Click here for more information.
Local Food Marketplace
Local Food Marketplace is an online storefront with solutions for farmers, food hubs and distributors, CSAs and subscriptions, and markets. It can provide production planning, reporting, order and distribution support (harvest lists, packing lists), invoicing, payments, and more.
- For buyers: ReposiTrak is now offering their MarketPlace online sourcing tool free to retailers for quick and easy access to the world’s largest network of compliance-vetted suppliers. Learn more here.
- For farmers and suppliers: The MarketPlace enables retailers and wholesalers to search and connect with ReposiTrak’s community of food and non-food suppliers, and bring new products to market in just a fraction of the time. Learn more here.
World Wildlife Fund
WWF's No Food Left Behind series explores the drivers behind on-farm food loss and works to prototype and test possible solutions. In part three of this series (Second Helping: Can the Gig Economy Rescue Surplus Food from Farms?). WWF provides an overview of options for recovering surplus produce, including Second Helping, a platform concept to connect farm surplus with food bank demand and source part-time "gig economy" labor to harvest this surplus.
Farm Link connects farms with under-stocked and understaffed food banks.
- For buyers, suppliers, logistics providers, packaging companies—any organization in the supply chain—iTradeMarketplace is a new way to match supply with demand, discover new partners, and establish trading relationships. Post or find food and / or transportation that you have or need. Creating an account is quick and easy and can be done here.
- Milk Run is an online marketplace to buy and sell local foods.
- Consumers: If you’re in the Portland area, search products here. See their service map here.
- Sellers: If you’re within 100 miles of Detroit, NYC, Portland, or Seattle, apply to become a seller here. When sellers sell through Milk Run, they get about 70% of every dollar our customers spend compared to the 10% producers usually see when selling through traditional grocers.
Florida Farm to You
- The Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services is working to connect Florida producers with consumers and businesses to purchase Florida products. Contact them at FLFarmToYou@FDACS.gov
- Businesses and Consumers: See a list of available products or use this map to find products near you.
- Growers: Submit your available products
- Transportation Services:
- Convoy uses machine learning and automation to connect shippers and carriers to move millions of truckloads, saving money for shippers, increasing earnings for carriers, and eliminating carbon waste for our planet.
- Farmers, suppliers, and buyers: In response to COVID-19, Convoy will book a carrier in their network and pay the truck driver for their services, at no cost to the shipper. Learn more here.
- FLEXE provides on-demand warehousing to create dynamic eCommerce fulfillment networks and resolve warehouse capacity constraints.
- Space Providers: List your warehouse to turn your excess capacity and services into useful space here.
- For those in need of space: Learn more about offerings and available space from FLEXE here.